At Taupo Acupuncture Centre we specialise in treating all gynecological disorders.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
What is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)?
• PCOS may be hireditry, lifestyle habits may also contribute to PCOS.
• PCOS is now thought to be the leading cause of infertility, affecting between 5 – 10% of women who are of reproductive age.
• PCOS is a syndrome and not a disease, therefore the combinations of symptoms vary, making it hard to recognize that there is a problem.
• Many women may not know they have it until they cannot fall pregnant, and begin to investigate this.
• Up to 25% of women of reproductive age will have small cysts on the ovary, and have some or all of the symptoms, this is called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, 75% of the above 25% of women may show no symptoms at all, this is called Polycystic Ovaries.
• PCOS is a hormonal disorder, caused by the body making too many male hormones, this disrupts the hormonal balance causing a lack of menstruation, infertility, and other issues such as insulin resistance and hirsutism.
Symptoms may include:
How Acupuncture Helps PCOS
The abnormalities in the ovary are only a symptom of an deeper dysfunction, not the cause. Acupuncture treatment will treat the underlying cause of problem as well as treating the symptoms.
Balance the endocrine system to normalize the production of hormones that regulate ovulation.
Stimulate blood production ensuring an adequate supply of blood to sustain a normal menstrual cycle, ensure a healthy endometrium, nourish the eggs and support a healthy pregnancy.
Help dissolve the thick, waxy coating found on the surface of the ovaries to improve ovarian function, enhance egg quality.
Regulate the sympathetic nervous system to relax the body, reduce stress and influence healthy ovulation.
Eat organic foods and avoid processed foods. People who have PCOS already have a hormonal and/or chemical imbalance, and processed foods contain chemicals, additives and artificial colorings, which make conditions worse.
This page was last updated 14/01/2013
(c) Copyright Auckland Acupuncture Centre Limited. All rights reserved.